Yup! I can officially check that off of my list of things that I want to see before I die. The Grand Canyon is only about 4.5 hours away from our home and the drive up to over 5,000 feet elevation is absolutely beautiful. Here are a couple of pictures of the trip itself:
| My babies all buckled up and ready to go! |
We drove up there on the Saturday before Mother's Day and stayed the night at a hotel that is on the actual rim (meaning the Grand Canyon was literally outside our window). I cannot express it enough that words/pictures CANNOT and DO NOT do the majesty and beauty of this place ANY justice. With that being said, here are some pictures from Saturday...
| Our first look. |
| A few yards away from our hotel. |
![]() |
| My babies enjoying the view from our hotel room. |
| Making momma's dream's come true. |
On Saturday night, we went outside to see what the canyon after dark beholds. Now, I am total night time person and a total geek about stars and moons. It is my dream to own a telescope to see what cannot be seen with the naked eye and to be able to photograph nighttime skies. There is nothing more magical to me than a clear night with sparkling stars and a beautiful moon. So you can imagine my total awe and amazement when we got outside and found a nice little dark area to view the unpolluted and unobstructed night sky. I have never seen so many stars in my life. It was indescribable and breathtaking. It was such a fulfilling moment in my life and I would have stayed around to enjoy it longer if it hadn't been 34 degrees outside or if I had been more appropriately dressed. Also, the fact that we had walk by about 8 very large elk and deer to get to where we were made me a bit cautious. With all the tourism that goes on in the area we were, we tend to forget that we are in the wild and that the canyon belongs to those animals and to nature and we are truly visitors on their land. Next time I go, I NEED to be better prepared so that I can spend hours out in a dark area and let my eyes adjust to allow even more of the splendid night sky in.
Since it was Mother's Day and all, here are some pictures of my babies and my momma...
| Boys... What can ya do? |
And here are some pictures from Sunday (Mother's Day)...
That's right. A whole lotta nada. Here's why...
On Saturday night, after Alfred and I went to look at the stars, I took my mom for a quick glance (quick because all the wild elk and deer really freaked her out). We were gone a whole 10 minutes and we came back to Alec throwing up. My poooooor baby. So that night, none of us slept well since we were all on edge with Alec being sick and Jolie coughing and not sleeping soundly either. Alec slept through the night but woke up the next morning and the sickness continued. We agreed that it wouldn't be right for him to feel awful and have to be moving around, walking and stuff out on the canyon. So we decided to pack up and leave early without getting the most out of day 2. This was an easy decision to make since we live relatively close. While we all got ready to go, my mom got her fill by spending some peace and quite by herself with the canyon. It truly was "mother's" day for me when I had to sit in the back seat and be on sickness patrol with a trashcan. If you know anything about me, you know that I am DEATHLY afraid of vomit. But when it's your kiddos and you have no choice, you seem to muster up the "cojones" to just deal with it. Needless to say, it was the longest 4.5 hours of my life. We almost made it all the way home without an incident. Almost. But I guess once is better than what I expected. So that's why there aren't any day 2 pictures to show. Next time...
Well that's it. The whole Grand Canyon experience. I have a list of things that I still NEED to do at the canyon so I NEED to go back someday. And if visiting the Grand Canyon isn't on your list of things to do, then your list NEEDS to be updated. You won't regret it. I Promise...





No comments:
Post a Comment